The Head Men's Basketball Coach is responsible for the overall management of the program including coaching, recruitment and retention of student-athletes, scheduling and budget management, equipment ordering, viable fundraising, public relations and other duties as assigned.
Status: Full-time position. Works on an academic year schedule.
Supervises: Full-time assistant coach, Part-time coaching assistant(s) and student workers.
* Responsible for creating an overall positive and successful environment for the student-athletes of the men's basketball program.
* Provide oversight and evaluation of the daily progress of the team including strength training, conditioning, and student-athlete academic, personal and athletic development.
* Plan, conduct and evaluate practice activities for men's basketball team members.
* Provide group and individual assistance in a manner that engages the athletes and builds commitment to the program.
* Work collaboratively with other members of the Augustana staff to integrate efforts and create program success.
* Assist other staff members with activities as needed to reach the overall goals of the Augustana athletic department.
* Meet with prospective students and their family members both on campus and at remote locations as possible.
* Provide advice and counsel on the admissions process, the Augustana experience and the integral role of the student-athlete in overall campus life.
* Hire and oversee a full-time assistant coach, part-time coaching assistants and student workers as needed to assist with the program and competition-related activities.
* Provide feedback--both positive and negative--on work products and outcomes.
* Order equipment and supplies and manage operating budget for the program.
* Complete auxiliary assignments including teaching physical education activity classes during the academic year.
* Actively participate in department and college-wide meetings and events, and adapt work as required to meet overall campus goals.
Five or more years of previous coaching experience, preferably at the collegiate level.
Previous head coaching experience preferred.
A demonstrated understanding of the NCAA Division III environment, requirements, and accountability, with previous coaching or playing experience in a similar setting highly preferred.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
The ability to relate to a diverse group of students, athletes, coaches and campus community members.
Strong prioritization and organizational skills.
Must have a thorough understanding of and accountability to NCAA and CCIW rules and regulations.
Demonstrated strong commitment to the academic and athletic success of the student-athlete.
About Augustana College
Founded in 1860, Augustana College is a selective four-year residential college of the liberal arts and sciences. Augustana is recognized for the innovative program Augie Choice, which provides each student up to $2,000 to pursue a high-impact learning experience such as study abroad, an internship or research with a professor. Current students and alumni include 161 Academic All-Americans, a Nobel laureate, 13 college presidents and other distinguished leaders. The college enrolls 2,500 students and is located along one of the world's most important waterways, the Mississippi River, in a community that reflects the diversity of the United States.