Under indirect supervision, this position is responsible for all aspects of the Women’s Basketball program. This position reports directly to the Director of Athletics, keeping him/her well-informed of all planning, organizing, and development of Mitchell College’s Women’s Basketball program. In addition to coaching, the incumbent will be responsible for recruiting and administrative duties, in accordance with Mitchell College, GNAC and NCAA Division III regulations.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Oversees the identification, evaluation and recruitment of potential women’s basketball student-athletes
- Directs all aspects of the coaching of the program
- Coordinates the physical development of each student-athlete through appropriate strength and conditioning, and practice sessions
- Administrative duties related to active coaching
- Advises and counsels student-athletes academically, athletically and socially
- Monitors the academic progress of each women’s basketball student-athlete
- Directs all aspects of the management of the program
- Fiscally responsible for all areas of the budget, including budget proposal, accounting and expenditure
- Coordinates all travel arrangements for team trips
- Recommends and oversees the purchase of new equipment, supplies, and uniforms
- Oversee summer camps and team fundraising
- With the Director of Athletics oversees the development of the competition schedule
- Represents the College at meetings
- Maintains a visible presence at department functions, College open houses and College events
- Is a visible, fully integrated member of the College community
- Performs all other duties as assigned, including ancillary responsibilities like SAAC Advisor and Game MGT
Required Education and Experience: - Bachelor’s degree in related field required, MS degree preferred - Minimum of 2–3 years of coaching experience, preferably at the college level - Collegiate playing experience preferred - Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, and staff. - Current and valid driver’s license - Current First Aid, CPR & AED certification
Key Skills / Knowledge: • Standard computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, etc.) • Front Rush – is a required tool for all Head Coaches – they must maintain an active recruiting database, current roster and alumni database.
Mitchell College is a small, private college that has been an invaluable resource for southeastern Connecticut for over 75 years. Mitchell’s personal, mentoring approach activates strengths in our students that allows them to achieve levels of success and leadership they may not yet have imagined for themselves. Mitchell has a strong tradition of celebrating and supporting diverse ways of learning, and is committed to the broader community through partnerships and internships. Located on a beautiful waterfront campus in historic New London, it is also home to championship NCAA Division III athletics and the Duquès Academic Success Center, which includes the renowned Bentsen Learning Center. Mitchell College sponsors 12 varsity sports, with over 200 student athletes competing in Division III of the NCAA.